The 2014 NFL season is here, and the Facebook data team is taking a look at fandom for all 32 teams, along with the total interactions and top social moments from Thursday night’s opener. Today we’re releasing a map that shows where football fans live based on which NFL team they “Like” on Facebook. Note, each county is color-coded based on which official NFL team page has the most Facebook “Likes” by people who live in that county.
Thursday night’s season opener between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks drove a high level of conversation on Facebook, with more than 8.5 million people generating nearly 15 million Facebook interactions (posts, comments and likes). The Top 5 “most social” moments were:
- Green Bay takes an early 7-3 lead after John Kuhn’s 2-yard touchdown run
- Marshawn Lynch scores from 9 yards out as Seattle takes a 17-10 lead
- The 2014 NFL season officially gets under way as Seattle kicks off to Green Bay to start the game
- Lynch scores his second rushing touchdown of the game as the Seahawks extend their lead to 29-10
- Russell Wilson connects with Ricardo Lockette on a 33-yard passing TD as Seattle regains the lead 10-7 early in the second quarter