Facebook’s data team looked at the volume of global conversation around the entire World Cup Group Stage, from June 12-26, along with the most social matches, most social goals, countries and most-talked-about players.
Globally, more than 200 million people had more than 815 million Facebook interactions (posts, comments, and likes) related to the World Cup Group Stage matches from June 12-26.
Top 10 Most Social Goals based on those global peak moments – the World Cup goals that generated the most “gooooaaaals” in posts and comments:
1. Javier “Chicharito” Hernández seals Mexico’s win over Croatia with a goal to make it 3-0 (June 23rd)
2. Neymar Jr. scores his first World Cup goal, bringing Brazil level with Croatia 1-1 in the tournament opener (June 12th)
3. Neymar Jr. scores in the 17th minute to give Brazil a 1-0 lead over Cameroon (June 23rd)
4. Neymar Jr. converts the questionably-awarded penalty kick to give Brazil a 2-1 lead over Croatia (June 12th)
5. Neymar Jr. nets his second goal against Cameroon, restoring Brazil’s lead 2-1 (June 23rd)
6. Andrés Guardado doubles Mexico’s lead over Croatia 2-0 minutes after they opened the scoring (June 23)
7. Captain Rafa Marquez puts in a header off a corner kick to give Mexico a 1-0 lead over Croatia (June 23rd)
8. Fernandino scores Brazil’s fourth goal against Cameroon (June 23rd)
9. Fred scores to give Brazil a 3-1 lead over Cameroon (June 23rd)
10. Diego Godin scores against Italy to give Uruguay a 1-0 lead and send them through to the round of 16 (June 24th)