By Julien Codorniou
In the social games world this year we saw the emergence of new categories of games, high quality graphics and immersive gameplay, and games built by big and small developers from around the world. It was the most diverse and global year for social games to date - for those on Facebook.com, as well as games built with Facebook for iPhone, iPad and Android.
We've pulled together the list of the 25 top rated games, based on games that launched in 2012 and received the highest star ratings from players and engagement levels over the course of the year.
The music trivia game SongPop was the crowd favorite this year, with social mobile games Dragon City and Bike Race coming in at second and third.
It was the most international year for social games. The majority of games came from outside the U.S., ranging from France, Spain and the U.K. to Brazil, South Korea, Australia, and Turkey. Zynga led the U.S. with the most games on the list including their latest game, FarmVille2 and the social mobile game Draw Something.
It was a big year for action/arcade games too, with most of the apps falling into the relatively new category. Fifty six percent of the games are available on Facebook.com, while the remaining 44% are social mobile games (available on iPhone, iPad and Android).
Your top rated games of the year:
• SongPop (FreshPlanet)
• Dragon City (Social Point)
• Bike Race (Top Free games)
• Subway Surfers (Kiloo)
• Angry Birds Friends (Rovio)
• FarmVille 2 (Zynga)
• Scramble with Friends (Zynga)
• Clash of Clans (Supercell)
• Marvel: Avengers Alliance (Playdom)
• Draw Something (Zynga)
• Hay Day (Supercell)
• Baseball Heroes (Syntasia)
• ChefVille (Zynga)
• CSR Racing (NaturalMotion Games)
• Candy Crush Saga (King.com)
• Matching With Friends (Zynga)
• Legend Online (OASIS GAMES)
• Jurassic Park Builder (Ludia)
• Dungeon Rampage (Rebel Entertainment)
• Pockie Ninja II Social (NGames Limited)
• Jetpack Joyride (Halfbrick)
• Social Empires (Social Point)
• Bil ve Fethet (Peak Games)
• Ruby Blast Adventures (Zynga)
• Pyramid Solitaire Saga (King.com)
*More on methodology: This list was generated using the same ranking system we use in the App Center, based on both star ratings by users, positive and negative user signals and engagement levels between the date range of January 12, 2012 –November, 10, 2012. You can learn more about how the App Center recommendation engine ranks apps here. The list takes into account games that launched in 2012 on Facebook.com, as well as mobile games integrated with Facebook. It only includes those games with at least 100,000 monthly active Facebook users.